Monday, January 18, 2010

PB knock off candle chandelier

So, we have a large room that we've decided is a living / dining combination.  But there is only one light fixture, and it's in the middle of the room.

We had contractors give us an estimate for putting more light in, but that is going to have to wait until we have more $$$

I wanted more definition over the area, so this is what I did:



I've seen these all over candle chandeliers all over, I've seen them at Pottery Barn, Z Gallery, Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel, and some high end boutiques.  They always cost several hundred dollars.  As always, I thought "I could make that myself"

The problem was, while this wasn't going to cost nearly what it would in the store - it would still be expensive with all of those candles.  I mean you're still talking $4 for a small pillar candle from WALMART!  So I put my thinking cap on.

I decided to buy some glasses at Walmart.  They were $1.92 for a set of four, and I covered them in a waxy finish contact paper:  So while the candles alone would have cost at least $100, I spent only $12.   I put some tealights in the glasses, and I think they look pretty convincing as candles.



Then I got some scrap wood at Home Depot for $0.50, and covered one side in bead board wall paper. 




And painted it the same chocolate color as our cabinets



I attached (and by I, of course I mean Jarrod) moulding around the sides and put the hooks where the chains could attach








(I didn't paint the inside, because no one will see it)

I painted the trim, and then hung it by chain from the hooks we put in the ceiling:



And Ta Da!!  I put rested some of the candles on scraps of leftover trim to stagger the heights of the glasses (there are only two different sizes here)






 












Total Cost: $32.50
Cups: $12 (1.92 for a 4 pack at WalMart)
Contact Paper $6
Scrap wood $0.50
Trim - $7
Hardware (chain and hooks) $7

DON'T FORGET ABOUT MY PAINT COLOR PARTY AND AMAZING GIVEAWAY!!! 
I hope to see you all back here on Friday the 22nd to share all of your favorite paint colors.





<center><a href="http://frugalhomeideas.blogspot.com"><https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjQFVacW67pGrOrhcdwQH1zBHkMUFLVNOUhrDBcg96k31a_g3MbUVAbEMjOH5JNATPMC69p4xI-sAkiNrCHerdaq_pMxkA3CO6QvBdIV7uF6JCW6I7ABOppxUJyMlzU5eUYfiOX5mk7frPE/s400/small+button.jpg"/></a></center><br><br>

Go see all the other great projects over at Kimba's!!
ASPTL



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...