Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Easy No Sew Curtains




These are the easiest window treatments in the history of window treatments to make. Well, now that I think about it, the blanket that I thumb tacked over my window in my first apartment was easier.  But only slightly.

Let me rephrase.

This is the easiest window treatment that actually looks like a window treamtment in the history of window treatments.

If you're like me, and you're petrified of any sewing project, and you haven't been introduced to hem tape - I would like to formally introduce you to one of my new best friends:



I was even a little timid of this stuff at first.  This was my first DIY involving any fabric - but it needed to be done. 

Pardon me, I didn't take pictures along the way, but this is so easy you don't need them!

All I used for this project was:
5 yards (total) of fabric
1 Package of hem tape
2 packages of grommets (1 per panel)

Step 1 - cut your fabric into 90 inch panels (or however long you want yours to be, I like mine to pool a bit at the bottom)

Step 2 - use your hem tape to hem the bottom of the panel




Step 3 - use your hem tape to hem to hem the top, leaving enough room for the grommets


 

Step 4 - Using the template that comes in your package of grommets, draw the circles that you will cut out.



Step 5 - These grommets just snap together, and your circles that you cut out don't have to be perfect for these to work.  I was the most worried about that part, but the grommets are very forgiving.  Just snap them together on either side of your fabric.

Step 6 - Hang them up and enjoy!



I would eventually like to put a sheer of some kind to cover the entire door area, but our backyard is private enough that no one can see in.  So instead of putting a huge long bar all the way across, I just got two small curtain rods to hang each panel on on either side of the door.  I got these on sale at Hobby Lobby for $7.99 each!  Way cheaper than getting a HUGE LONG curtain rod that wouldn't serve any purpose.

P.S.  I moved my couch for this picture because my brown microfiber couch looks PURPLE when being photographed.  I don't understand it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...