Friday, November 27, 2009

Piece of cake

Today we celebrated my son's first birthday. I wanted to share the cake that my husband and I made. 

I have never baked anything more than a box of brownies, so I was a little intimidated about making a "cool" cake, but I'm never one to shy away from a creative challenge.

He LOVES Baby Einstein, and this catepillar comes across the screen at the beginning of each DVD.  My little guy gets SO excited, so I knew that's what we had to do for a cake.




The cake was made out of a sports ball pan.  I used the halves instead of making the full ball, and the covered it in store bought fondant that we colored with food coloring.  A LOT easier than I thought it would be!





The antennae are dum dums covered in fondant.



finishing touches:



Taste Test:



I think he approved:



He wouldn't stop eating it!  Daddy got a little scared that he would get sick so we finally tore him away from the cake.  I will absolutely be making more cakes in the future.  This was a lot of fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...